I just wanted to update you on our in-house Olympic weightlifting meet. We will be meeting on Aug. 24th and the first lifters will begin at 9:30am sharp. We will be utilizing a continuously rising barbell meaning we will initially set the barbell up for the lightest lift and then work up from there. Novices will be the first division to go and are recommended to arrive at the gym at 8:30am in order to register for the event and prepare for the lifts. The open division start time will depend on how long the novices take to complete their lifts however it is recommended that open athletes are at the gym by 9:30am.
If you would like to attend, please sign the sign-in sheet by the gym computer so we know who is coming. This will then be used to determine the order of lifters.
Also, please note that we will be accepting donations at the meet for the Crossfit KFOR fund. This is for a great cause; please check out the website here for details.
Here are the following rules for the Novice athletes:
• All athletes must stay within the confines of the predetermined platform.
• Athletes are prohibited from using knee wraps, elbow wraps, or wraps of any sort. Sleeves are okay.
• Leather belts are prohibited. Only soft material belts are allowed.
• The Snatch must be one CONTINUOUS movement. Hang snatches or any other variation is prohibited.
• The Clean and Jerk must be two distinct movements with a pause between the clean and the jerk. The Clean must be one continuous movement. Hang cleans or any other variation is prohibited.
• The weight must be held over head with the athlete’s feet underneath his or her shoulders, showing and maintaining control of the barbell. Only once the head judge says ‘drop’ may the athlete drop the bar and complete the lift.
• The bar may not be pulled past the knee and returned to the floor for another attempt in either the Snatch or Clean and Jerk. This will count as a failed attempt and the lift will be over.
• The judges reserve the right at any time to stop any athlete who is engaged in a Snatch or a Clean and Jerk if they believe that the athlete is completing to the movement unsafely.
• Athletes must attempt the lift before the expiration of the clock.
Here are the following rules for the Open athletes (All novice rules also apply to Open Athletes)
• The elbows must not touch the knees at any time during the Clean and Jerk or the Snatch.
• No other body part aside from the athlete’s feet may touch the ground.
• In either the Jerk or the Snatch, the athlete cannot press-out the lift or have their elbows buckle and or bend. If an athlete cannot fully extend his or her elbows, he or she must show that to the judges prior to lifting.
• The athlete is permitted to alter his or her grip at the conclusion of the clean, but may only attempt to complete the jerk once.